Wind energy - A drive in the country

I went for a drive in the country a few days ago to get some pics of a few windmills.

Here's one...

Don't know how, but I think I took a photo from the 70's 












And some more...










They weren't as thick on the ground as I expected, so my drive took me quite a way into the outback. I ended up going from Adelaide to Marree, then turned left, and drove along the length of the Oodnadatta Track* until I got back on the bitumen at Marla. Then I continued north to Kings Canyon, Uluru and the Olgas. There was nothing much in central Australia in the windmill department, so I headed home via Woomera (my birthplace (thanks/sorry mum (I hear giving birth is ouchie))).

There were some more windmills on the way home.


View 120 Things In 20 Years - A drive in the country in a larger map


I left at dawn on the 2nd, and just got back yesterday on the 8th. I'll blog on about it soon, under the thing "Epic Adventurer". I'm new to adventures of epic scale, but this was quite a start. These past few years, I had become known as the last of the great indoorsmen, now I think I need to get outside for a bit.


An odd thing about being on an epic road trip, is that you have a lot of time to plan your next epic trip.


This drive was a little over 4000km.


To put that in perspective, that's nearly 2/3 of the way to the centre of the earth, or a little over a one point one million times the distance I walked this morning in my kitchen, measured from the fridge. (to make my first decent coffee in a week)


Sleepy now.


*This is a dangerous stretch of road and some thought and planning needs to be done before driving it. People run out of life on it. Being dead from thirst, ranks right down there, very close to the bottom of my list of things in order of their fun quotient (fun stuff at the top). On one day there was only one other car to wave at. It's not impossible for there to be no other cars for days, and the road is often closed for days at a time. Plan for extended overnight stays in one horse towns or the front seat of your car at best, and the local morgue/general store's deep freezer at worst. It was 48 degrees c in the shade the day before we left (118.4F), and overnight temperatures were predicted to be 28 deg c at 5am (82.4F). I have no idea what the overnight temperatures actually were, but the days were 43-45c in the shade. 


There is no shade. 


None.


You pass the tree half way through day two.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts